Saturday, April 10, 2010

Worry or Not

I went to the temple to do baptisms for the dead with my roommate Jing. She was baptized in January and this was her first experience in the temple. We had a really good time. She said she felt the spirit while she was there. She also got really excited when we started telling her that you can actually do genealogy to find your relatives who have passed away and do their temple work for them. She started asking us how she can find her family. We told her to start by asking her mom and dad about their grandparents etc... She said something about not even knowing who her great great grandma is. Anyway, that was a neat experience.

I went to a BRIDAL FAIR today!! It was a lot of fun too. Free food, discounted tuxedos, men's rings, Dj's and photobooth's. I'm glad my roommate came with me, I didn't realize how hard it was going to be to keep track of all my free stuff and enter all the free drawings.

I'm a worrier by genetics. My dad worries, his mom worries, his grandparents worry etc... I'm pretty sure it's genetic... So I have a LOT of things to worry about now that I'm on my way to get married. I instituted a worry jar awhile back so I could place all my worries that I have no control over in that jar and just way for them to work out. I hadn't put anything in it for a few months and just remembered about it as I was worrying to Kameron the other night. I put 15-20 new worry things, which I think doubled what was already in there. I am the kind of person who needs to actually do something in order to let go and move on. I've smashed pumpkins, thrown flowers in the lake, let go of helium balloons, and now I have my worry jar. It's only symbolic of course, but it does WONDERS for me.

One of my worries just last night was about finding an apartment and being able to afford to furnish it etc. etc. etc. Kameron kept telling me it would be okay, and I know it will be. My dad said they used to say about his worrier grandma that she was really good at worrying because nothing she ever worried about actually ended up happening. I read a quote this morning by Elder Jeffrey R. Holland while I was in the temple:

“I am not saying you shouldn’t be very careful about something as significant and serious as marriage. … Yes, there are cautions and considerations to make, but once there has been genuine illumination, beware the temptation to retreat from a good thing. If it was right when you prayed about it and trusted it and lived for it, it is right now. Don’t give up when the pressure mounts. You can find an apartment. You can win over your mother-in-law. You can sell your harmonica and therein fund one more meal. It’s been done before. Don’t give in. Certainly don’t give in to that being who is bent on the destruction of your happiness. He wants everyone to be miserable like unto himself. Face your doubts. Master your fears. ‘Cast not away therefore your confidence.’ Stay the course and see the beauty of life unfold for you.”


Perfect, don't you think? I'm glad to know that if all else fails, I can sell my harmonica and eat one more meal. Oh no ,wait!!!! I DON'T HAVE A HARMONICA! I guess we'll starve Kam. :)

These are some pictures we had my mom take of us really quick one day. The second one is really funny to me.

7 comments:

Kameron said...

That second picture is pretty bad. I can't believe you put it in there. haha I love you!

Andy Porter said...

Anytime I read your blog I feel like hugging you. I love all of your insights. Everything will work out!

P.S. I love that quote....A LOT!!

P.P.S. My parents gave me their old table so I don't know what to do with our other one. Let me know if you want it and I'll save it for you! Or I have a red plaid round one that you can use if you want to. And now that it's garage sale season we could find some seriously cute furniture to fix up!
{{You can tell me to back off anytime now. I just get so excited about that stuff:)}}

Hannah said...

Abby,
I also worry. As Dad would say, so what? There's nothing wrong with that. I like your worry jar idea. I also like the quote. I second Andy...just go to yard sales to get furniture. We got our first set of couches for $30 at a yard sale and used them for a few years. I think apartment hunting sounds fun!
Can you two take a normal picture? It will be interesting to see. :)

Hannah

Kathy said...

Why waste energy worrying. Everything ALWAYS works out. Use that worry energy to move forward one step at a time. Your Dad's worrying rubs off on me sometimes too. Worry is fear and where there is faith, there is no room for fear. (I was just working on Faith in Personal Progress so it is fresh in my mind). I'll get you a bed for a wedding present.
Andy, will you help me furnish my house?

Valerie said...

I agree with all the comments. Furnish your home with yard sale finds, and take that freakin' awesome SIL with you to furnish your home.

Ben and I used camping chairs for our furniture until we bought a couch.

Everything always works out. I'm a worrier too. I love what your mom said about where there is faith, there is no need to fear. So true!

And AHHHHH! I want to take your pictures right now!

Sarah said...

No kidding! I want Andy to help me furnish my house too! I don't worry...much. Except when my baby comes down with a strange rash or another kid has some strange illness.

Betsy said...

Russell and I sat on the floor for months in California until we found a good enough deal--there's really no need for furniture if you think about it. Did that help? I can't give you any furniture, but I can at least tell you you don't need it. As for worrying, I bet Kameron will help balance that out for you--he's your help meet.

I AM PECULIAR (this is a permanent post. If you have already read it, scroll down to see my latest)

Those of you who read my blog could probably make a list of all the reasons that you think I am a bit peculiar. No worries, I would be the first to shout an amen to everything you could think of. I know I’m peculiar; but let me tell you the number one thing on my list that I think makes me a peculiar person.

I know where I come from, why I am here and where I am going. I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Some of you will know me as a “Mormon” although that is just a nickname. The word ‘Saint’ just means ‘member’ in this context. I believe in God the Eternal Father, that I am a daughter of God, and that He loves me and wants me to be happy. I believe in my Savior Jesus Christ who lived a perfect life, atoned for my sins, died and was resurrected all that I might enjoy the blessing of being forgiven of my sins, and having my body and spirit reunited after death. I know that just as God called prophets in the Old and New Testament times that He has in fact called a prophet to lead and guide us today. I believe that families can live together for eternity; death does not have to be the end of our relationships with the ones we love. Some of you may wonder how on earth I can know these things. As I learn more and more from the Bible and other scriptures and actually live what I learn I see the promises the Lord has made being fulfilled in my life, and I feel the Holy Spirit bear witness that these things are true.

I know, I’m peculiar, but thankfully there are over 13 million other peculiar members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and with each year that number grows. I feel so much joy and happiness in my life because of this knowledge. If you want to know more depth about anything I have said that makes me peculiar, visit www.mormon.org. This website explains in detail much of what I have just professed to believe and more.