Monday, June 8, 2009

Sometimes I go to New Mexico

I went to New Mexico this last week to visit my sister Sarah and her kids. Sarah's oldest daughter Kaitlyn just turned 8 years old. In the LDS church 8 is a pretty important birthday because it means you can be baptized into the church, and receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. It was really neat to be there for Kaitlyn's baptism.

Let me tell you a little about Sarah's life. I got there Tuesday night and then woke up Wednesday to tag along as they went about their normal routine. The girls have swim team at 8:00 AM, then they come home for a short break before they all go to swim lessons at 11:45 AM. Straight from swim lessons the girls go to Children's Music Theater practice for 3 hours while the two youngest go home to play and take a nap. After CMT they have about an hour to rest until dinner and then their dad comes home, they get ready for bed, have family scriptures, read Harry Potter or other stories for the little ones, and then finally lights out and they go to bed (theoretically). The next morning they start the whole thing all over again. I was EXHAUSTED after one day.

My parents and little brother drove down and got there Friday evening. We played kickball Saturday morning and then just sat around until the baptism. Sunday we went to Sacrament meeting and then drove home. I fell asleep to the melodious sound of dad cracking his sunflower seeds, eating the actual seed and then placing the shell in a cup. Over and over and over and over for 10 hours. When we got home we found my car and our Mazda parked on our front lawn instead of in their respective places at the side of the house and in the garage. We knew it could only be two people: Betsy and Russ. So I pretended like my ipod got stolen out of the car because it was parked on the front lawn and the automatic lock button doesn't always lock all 4 doors. I only kept up the lie for like a minute but it was still fun--I think I scared Betsy and Russ for at least 30 seconds.

Pictures of me and Kaitlyn--she has my curly hair and my huge gap in between her two front teeth. Many of you who haven't known me all my life don't know that I suffered a severe case of gapped teeth until I finally got braces in high school. I looked pretty much just like Kaitlyn.





5 comments:

Jenny said...

It's really a shame you had to lose your one true beauty, Abby.

Abby Marie said...

I think you're the only person in the world who loves gapped teeth Jenny.

Andy Porter said...

I think gapped teeth are so cute...so I guess there's two of us! I have to laugh at 10 hrs of your dad chewing seeds! I'm glad you had fun and I'm sad we weren't able to be there!

Hannah said...

Ahhh...the sunflower seeds! It's just music to my ears.

Kylee said...

She is so beautiful! I can't believe how big your family has become! And your dress is super super cute!

I AM PECULIAR (this is a permanent post. If you have already read it, scroll down to see my latest)

Those of you who read my blog could probably make a list of all the reasons that you think I am a bit peculiar. No worries, I would be the first to shout an amen to everything you could think of. I know I’m peculiar; but let me tell you the number one thing on my list that I think makes me a peculiar person.

I know where I come from, why I am here and where I am going. I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Some of you will know me as a “Mormon” although that is just a nickname. The word ‘Saint’ just means ‘member’ in this context. I believe in God the Eternal Father, that I am a daughter of God, and that He loves me and wants me to be happy. I believe in my Savior Jesus Christ who lived a perfect life, atoned for my sins, died and was resurrected all that I might enjoy the blessing of being forgiven of my sins, and having my body and spirit reunited after death. I know that just as God called prophets in the Old and New Testament times that He has in fact called a prophet to lead and guide us today. I believe that families can live together for eternity; death does not have to be the end of our relationships with the ones we love. Some of you may wonder how on earth I can know these things. As I learn more and more from the Bible and other scriptures and actually live what I learn I see the promises the Lord has made being fulfilled in my life, and I feel the Holy Spirit bear witness that these things are true.

I know, I’m peculiar, but thankfully there are over 13 million other peculiar members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and with each year that number grows. I feel so much joy and happiness in my life because of this knowledge. If you want to know more depth about anything I have said that makes me peculiar, visit www.mormon.org. This website explains in detail much of what I have just professed to believe and more.