Sunday, May 10, 2009

Malad & Course Changes

I went to Malad, Idaho last weekend. You ever heard of it? Don't worry--most people haven't. It's a small town, so small in fact that I got a tour of the whole town in just about 5 minutes. My old roommate Liz lives in Malad and she's going on a mission soon so I went to visit her. She lives up on a hill that overlooks some of the houses and fields. There are just as many cows, horses, and sheep as people, and you have never seen so many tractors. I loved sitting on Liz's porch swing looking out over the fields and animals and tractors. I also loved going to the Malad Drive-In to get a Glamour Burger and a slushee. Oh yeah, and I got a silver ring from the quarter machine. Small town life is so simple and laid back. I thrive in those kinds of situations.

Yesterday I went for a run around the neighborhood. When I left the house I had in mind a route I was going to take. It was a route I'd done before that included a good amount of up and down hill to help me train for the Wasatch Back.
At the top of 4th east I was supposed to turn left to go down 2000 North. Once I got there though I just decided I would go right instead. The rest of my run was a course I chose just on the spot. It ended up being a great run, a little more challenging than the original plan but good nonetheless. If it had been a bad course at least I would know not to go there again. I was thinking that is kind of how life is. You can spend your whole life with a planned out course, one you've taken before or one you've heard is a good course from others who have taken it. But in an instant your course can change. Either the course will turn out to be a good one, or one you can learn to avoid in the future. My guess is that if you are trying to do the right things in life--no matter how many course changes you face it will always turn out to be a good one. If it is more challenging than you expected, then at least your legs will be stronger when it's time to run the actual race.




This is the tractor I watched go back and forth from Liz's porch.


Glamour Burgers!


4 comments:

Stefanie Elyse said...

I. Love. You. Come visit me. Not Jenny. :)

Suzie said...

ABBY!! My mom is from Malad. I have spent many an awesome afternoon walking to and from the Malad Drive in to get some gems and a blue slushie. P.S. could you please chart my course in life, I think everything would turn out a whole lot better if you did it for me.

Andy Porter said...

I love your run/life comparison! I think it's pretty awesome to shake life up and take a different route now and then. It's kind of exciting not knowing what's around the next bend.

Kylee said...

Abby! I happened to click your name on Bri's blog and wahlah - I found you - hope that is ok.

You are so wise, great thoughts. It's fun to hear what you're up to. AND

guess what

I am running ragnar/wasatch back too :) Aren't you sooo excited! I'll keep me eyes out for you!

I AM PECULIAR (this is a permanent post. If you have already read it, scroll down to see my latest)

Those of you who read my blog could probably make a list of all the reasons that you think I am a bit peculiar. No worries, I would be the first to shout an amen to everything you could think of. I know I’m peculiar; but let me tell you the number one thing on my list that I think makes me a peculiar person.

I know where I come from, why I am here and where I am going. I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Some of you will know me as a “Mormon” although that is just a nickname. The word ‘Saint’ just means ‘member’ in this context. I believe in God the Eternal Father, that I am a daughter of God, and that He loves me and wants me to be happy. I believe in my Savior Jesus Christ who lived a perfect life, atoned for my sins, died and was resurrected all that I might enjoy the blessing of being forgiven of my sins, and having my body and spirit reunited after death. I know that just as God called prophets in the Old and New Testament times that He has in fact called a prophet to lead and guide us today. I believe that families can live together for eternity; death does not have to be the end of our relationships with the ones we love. Some of you may wonder how on earth I can know these things. As I learn more and more from the Bible and other scriptures and actually live what I learn I see the promises the Lord has made being fulfilled in my life, and I feel the Holy Spirit bear witness that these things are true.

I know, I’m peculiar, but thankfully there are over 13 million other peculiar members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and with each year that number grows. I feel so much joy and happiness in my life because of this knowledge. If you want to know more depth about anything I have said that makes me peculiar, visit www.mormon.org. This website explains in detail much of what I have just professed to believe and more.