Monday, November 24, 2008

What makes a hero?

So I have decided to write a paper exploring the idea of what makes a Hero. It's for my Greek and Roman Mythology class. We had an entire unit dedicated to studying Greek heroes, only I don't know how many of them are actually heroes. So what makes a hero anyway? Some Greek heroes are demi-gods--one of their parents are immortal. Because they are also half mortal, they are deeply flawed. For example Hercules got drunk one night and killed his wife and kids. Odysseus slept with at least 2 Goddesses while his wife Penelope remained faithful to him for 20 years, not knowing if he was dead or alive. Agamemnon, a great Trojan War hero sacrificed his daughter and then brought home the concubine Cassandra as a victory prize. Odysseus is also known for being able to tell great lies...he is a 'speaker of words' as is typical of a Homeric hero. So these great heroes aren't really great people. Sure, Hercules goes into the underworld and brings back Alecestis from the dead, but he also has an extreme appetite for wine and women. Frodo Baggins is a sort of hero, but he's a scrawny wimpy hobbit who is sometimes mean to his friends. Is it the great challenge that he overcomes that makes a man a hero, or is he only a hero if he also lives a life worth exemplifying? Who is the ultimate hero? Are there everyday heroes, and what makes them so? Jesus Christ, half immortal, came to earth and overcame the greatest of all challenges: he suffered for the sins of all mankind. Their are a lot of similiarities between Christ and the Greek heroes, but there is also one giant difference. Christ was perfect. He was faithful, kind, not murderous, disciplined etc. Understandably no one else in the world is perfect, so we can't expect to have other perfect heroes, but should they at least possess good qualities?

Anyway, I'm interested in what everyone thinks, so take my poll (to the right), leave a comment or send me an email....but don't facebook me.

5 comments:

Hannah said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Hannah said...

Like you said, if a requirement of being a hero is that you don't do bad things....no heroes will exist (except Christ of course). They become heroes for specific good-brave deeds, even though the person overall is flawed. It seems to me that whether anyone is a hero is subjective. I think if I were to tell someone, "you're my hero", it would be because they have done something that i admire and feel like I couldn't do myself. That inspires me and makes me want to improve or challenge myself in a certain area. But not everyone would consider that person a hero. Like, Hercules is Alecestis hero for sure, but not for any of those other people in the underworld that he didn't save and probably not for someone else who has gone into the underworld and brought someone up.
Anyway, I probably should have emailed this. too long.

Andy Porter said...

I think it is the soft french bread, thick stack of assorted meat, mayo, mustard, vinegar, oil, garden vegetables, and cheese that makes a hero.
Joe

Andy Porter said...

I agree with you and I like what Hannah said as well. Many of the people who I consider heros are deeply flawed, but sometimes I appreciate a hero that isn't super-human. They make me feel like even though I make mistakes it shouldn't stop me from trying to do amazing things.

Andy Porter said...

Joe and I must have commented at the exact same time. I published my comment and looked down to see that I had commented about a sandwich. That was pretty trippy!

I AM PECULIAR (this is a permanent post. If you have already read it, scroll down to see my latest)

Those of you who read my blog could probably make a list of all the reasons that you think I am a bit peculiar. No worries, I would be the first to shout an amen to everything you could think of. I know I’m peculiar; but let me tell you the number one thing on my list that I think makes me a peculiar person.

I know where I come from, why I am here and where I am going. I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Some of you will know me as a “Mormon” although that is just a nickname. The word ‘Saint’ just means ‘member’ in this context. I believe in God the Eternal Father, that I am a daughter of God, and that He loves me and wants me to be happy. I believe in my Savior Jesus Christ who lived a perfect life, atoned for my sins, died and was resurrected all that I might enjoy the blessing of being forgiven of my sins, and having my body and spirit reunited after death. I know that just as God called prophets in the Old and New Testament times that He has in fact called a prophet to lead and guide us today. I believe that families can live together for eternity; death does not have to be the end of our relationships with the ones we love. Some of you may wonder how on earth I can know these things. As I learn more and more from the Bible and other scriptures and actually live what I learn I see the promises the Lord has made being fulfilled in my life, and I feel the Holy Spirit bear witness that these things are true.

I know, I’m peculiar, but thankfully there are over 13 million other peculiar members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and with each year that number grows. I feel so much joy and happiness in my life because of this knowledge. If you want to know more depth about anything I have said that makes me peculiar, visit www.mormon.org. This website explains in detail much of what I have just professed to believe and more.