Monday, November 17, 2008

Growing up

It's 1:17 AM and I'm blogging with my face about one inch from the computer screen. Both pairs of my glasses broke recently and they're unwearable so I can't see a thing once I take my contacts out. The screen is actually kind of burning my eyeballs.

This weekend I had sort of a cleanse. We had some pumpkins left over from Halloween that we never carved so my roommate and I decided to smash them. We wrote things on them (like code names for boys we were mad at) and then took them to the park and smashed them. It was symbolic of letting go and moving on I suppose. Mostly it was just REALLLY fun. Then on Saturday I deactivated my facebook account. I had been thinking about it for months and finally did it. I was hesitant because it seems like when you're single, in order to be in the 'game' you have to have a Facebook. It's a way for people to learn more about you and adds another medium for flirting. Anyway, I decided it was pointless and also adds one more medium to complicate life. So, I let it go. It's amazing how good I feel....like I gave up smoking or something. I guess I don't really know what that feels like, but it's probably close. I feel all grown up now.

My friend Elliott said to me today "Abby, today is the best day of my life." "why?" I asked. "Because we're not friends on facebook anymore." I think that secretly means he is really upset because I'm his favorite facebook friend. Here are pictures from my pumpking smashing fun. Don't worry mom and dad, we cleaned it up when we were done. :)

7 comments:

Jenny said...

I´m glad you wore your special pumpkin-smashing outfit, too. HOT.

Hannah said...

Wow! That's a big move...getting rid of facebook. Good for you. The pumpkin smashing looks fun too (I'm glad you cleaned it up though).

Valerie said...

It just occurred to me that maybe the band "Smashing Pumpkins" had the same ritual and hence their name.

P.S. I'm glad my name wasn't on any of those pumpkins. Although "Leonard" was pretty darn close.

Andy Porter said...

I love you Abby. You are the cutest.

Sarah said...

Wait a minute...I was just about to open a Facebook account.

Ben Porter said...

Facebook is for flirting!? I thought it was for getting in contact with everyone you went to school with to see who's still the most popular!

Russell said...

Sarah, you are WAY too old for Facebook.

I AM PECULIAR (this is a permanent post. If you have already read it, scroll down to see my latest)

Those of you who read my blog could probably make a list of all the reasons that you think I am a bit peculiar. No worries, I would be the first to shout an amen to everything you could think of. I know I’m peculiar; but let me tell you the number one thing on my list that I think makes me a peculiar person.

I know where I come from, why I am here and where I am going. I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Some of you will know me as a “Mormon” although that is just a nickname. The word ‘Saint’ just means ‘member’ in this context. I believe in God the Eternal Father, that I am a daughter of God, and that He loves me and wants me to be happy. I believe in my Savior Jesus Christ who lived a perfect life, atoned for my sins, died and was resurrected all that I might enjoy the blessing of being forgiven of my sins, and having my body and spirit reunited after death. I know that just as God called prophets in the Old and New Testament times that He has in fact called a prophet to lead and guide us today. I believe that families can live together for eternity; death does not have to be the end of our relationships with the ones we love. Some of you may wonder how on earth I can know these things. As I learn more and more from the Bible and other scriptures and actually live what I learn I see the promises the Lord has made being fulfilled in my life, and I feel the Holy Spirit bear witness that these things are true.

I know, I’m peculiar, but thankfully there are over 13 million other peculiar members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and with each year that number grows. I feel so much joy and happiness in my life because of this knowledge. If you want to know more depth about anything I have said that makes me peculiar, visit www.mormon.org. This website explains in detail much of what I have just professed to believe and more.