Wednesday, July 2, 2008

The 6:00 AM Crowd


Last week I woke up on a Thursday at 6:00 A.M. to go running. It is always nearly impossible to peel my body away from my sheets at such an early hour, but something about this day was different. I laid with my eyes opened for 5 minutes after my alarm clock went off trying to decide if I should wake up or not. Welp, I said, I'm already awake so I might as well. There is something indescribable about being awake and outside at 6:00 AM. Somehow it's as if my mind works in ways it can't at later hours. I ran through a set of sprinklers that had formed a puddle on the sidewalk and I thought, Man, these sprinklers have been awake now for probably 20 minutes. Think of all the things they were able to see in those 20 minutes of extra awake time.

I concluded that people who wake up at 6:00 AM are the truly interesting people in the world. What brings them to wake up so early on a regular basis? A Job? A healthy life style? A baby? A hobby? Insanity? Whatever their story, the 6:00 AM crowd is neat. We all wave to each other no matter what 'fraternity' we belong to. For example the runners wave to the walkers and the guy on his 250 cc scooter waves to the walkers and runners too. You don't have to be part of the same group or genre to get a hello from a fellow 6:00 AM crowd-er.

But then the hour turns to 7:00 and more and more people are out now. The 7:00 AM crowd isn't quite as cool or unique because a lot of people get up at 7:00.

The 6 AM hour is sort of addicting. Even though the experience is rewarding and exciting, my back is magnetized to my bed and the force keeping us together is constantly getting stronger. Maybe I need to sleep on my stomach....do I have a magnet on my stomach?

7 comments:

Hannah said...

Ha ha ha!

I totally know what you mean though...it's cool to be out and about early in the morning and realize that other people are too. Maybe you should try like 4:30 and see who's out then.

Andy Porter said...

You need to get rid of that mika crap. I go to your blog and quickly scroll to se if something is new and click away before the song gets going.

Your post is very well written. I believe anyone would enjoy reading these kind of posts whether they know you or not.
Joe

Andy Porter said...

I was just talking about mika, not all the music gosh!

Abby Marie said...

hahaha I know. It was all kind of driving me crazy though...it's time for new music.

Andy Porter said...

Abby, you make me laugh. I love your thought processes. The world is certainly a different place in the wee hours of the morning. I don't know about 4:30 though Hannah. I think anything before 5:00 and you have left the cool crowd and entered the wierdo crowd.

Valerie said...

Hey! I'm in the 5:00 a.m. crowd and I'm not a weirdo. At least I don't think I am.

Abby, I too enjoy your blog and all the little thoughts in your head. I mean, who else gives sprinklers their own personality.

Ben Porter said...

Hey, I was in the 3:30 crowd for 3 years. For the most part, that crowd is actually the "I haven't gone to sleep yet" crowd. That makes them the late crowd - not an early crowd. But they're still weird.

I AM PECULIAR (this is a permanent post. If you have already read it, scroll down to see my latest)

Those of you who read my blog could probably make a list of all the reasons that you think I am a bit peculiar. No worries, I would be the first to shout an amen to everything you could think of. I know I’m peculiar; but let me tell you the number one thing on my list that I think makes me a peculiar person.

I know where I come from, why I am here and where I am going. I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Some of you will know me as a “Mormon” although that is just a nickname. The word ‘Saint’ just means ‘member’ in this context. I believe in God the Eternal Father, that I am a daughter of God, and that He loves me and wants me to be happy. I believe in my Savior Jesus Christ who lived a perfect life, atoned for my sins, died and was resurrected all that I might enjoy the blessing of being forgiven of my sins, and having my body and spirit reunited after death. I know that just as God called prophets in the Old and New Testament times that He has in fact called a prophet to lead and guide us today. I believe that families can live together for eternity; death does not have to be the end of our relationships with the ones we love. Some of you may wonder how on earth I can know these things. As I learn more and more from the Bible and other scriptures and actually live what I learn I see the promises the Lord has made being fulfilled in my life, and I feel the Holy Spirit bear witness that these things are true.

I know, I’m peculiar, but thankfully there are over 13 million other peculiar members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and with each year that number grows. I feel so much joy and happiness in my life because of this knowledge. If you want to know more depth about anything I have said that makes me peculiar, visit www.mormon.org. This website explains in detail much of what I have just professed to believe and more.