Wednesday, June 18, 2008

How Old are the Empowered, Tap Dancing, Siamese Kittens

I have recently felt empowered to do anything and everything I want. I am currently training for a 1/2 marathon and the other week I ran 10 miles for the first time in my life. That is something I thought I would never do because I've never really enjoyed running. With this new feeling of empowerment I decide to undertake another thing that I never thought I would be able to do. I am learning to play the guitar. I started on Saturday with a guitar I found at my parents house, and already I know half a song and like 10 chords. I guess I just got sick of always saying I wish I could play, when for heaven's sake, what was stopping me? So the fact that I know 10 chords is further (farther?) than I ever thought I would be. It's slow going of course and I have blisters on my fingers, but as long as I stick at it I will be able to soon say, "I play the guitar."

The other day I was driving to the store and I saw a sign that said "Siamese kittens: $20" I thought that was funny because the first thing that popped into my mind was a picture of actual Siamese, or conjoined kittens. Where are they conjoined, I wondered. Then I started really wondering if there was such thing as conjoined kittens and sure enough, I found this picture and others like it.
This morning I was running along Canyon Road in Provo and I saw this sign:
Oh great, I thought. There is a man with a top hat doing a tap dance ahead. Needless to say, I never saw him. Maybe he was taking his morning break or something.

I went to my friend Megan's house yesterday and met some of her friends. She introduced me to a guy named Mike who then said, "nice to meet you Abby...now how old are you?" I looked at him funny for about 30 seconds thinking why on earth he needed to know how old I was. Like ohhh you're 19, okay cross you off my list. Or what if I was 25 would he be thinking, welp, too old for me? I told him I was 14 attending EFY and just here visiting my friends. He finally realized how it was a little strange to say that and then we all started laughing. Apparently he thought I was a different Abby that he and my friend Megan had been talking about earlier, and it would have made more sense if I was her. We had a few good laughs about it.

6 comments:

Hannah said...

Ha ha! You're funny. I like you.
I was cracking up about the football player incident in the RB, by the way. I can recall having to pass by herds of athletes running and jumping around in there...but never throwing up over the railing. Also, that conjoined cat picture is little disturbing to me and that's good that they warn you that there might be some tap dancing ahead, because it really could cause an accident. Not to mention the trouble it may have caused you, as a pedestrian, trying to pass through a tap dance routine...it's probably much better that he was on a lunch break or something. :)

Betsy said...

I did laugh at loud!

Sarah said...

Why do you always have disturbing pictures--nasty toes (Scott couldn't believe you posted that!) and now a 2-headed kitten! You are quite funny--you must have gotten that from me.

Russell said...

Further

Russell said...

Further

Bri said...

Oh Abby... you crack me up! I didn't know you had a blog! I love it!!

I AM PECULIAR (this is a permanent post. If you have already read it, scroll down to see my latest)

Those of you who read my blog could probably make a list of all the reasons that you think I am a bit peculiar. No worries, I would be the first to shout an amen to everything you could think of. I know I’m peculiar; but let me tell you the number one thing on my list that I think makes me a peculiar person.

I know where I come from, why I am here and where I am going. I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Some of you will know me as a “Mormon” although that is just a nickname. The word ‘Saint’ just means ‘member’ in this context. I believe in God the Eternal Father, that I am a daughter of God, and that He loves me and wants me to be happy. I believe in my Savior Jesus Christ who lived a perfect life, atoned for my sins, died and was resurrected all that I might enjoy the blessing of being forgiven of my sins, and having my body and spirit reunited after death. I know that just as God called prophets in the Old and New Testament times that He has in fact called a prophet to lead and guide us today. I believe that families can live together for eternity; death does not have to be the end of our relationships with the ones we love. Some of you may wonder how on earth I can know these things. As I learn more and more from the Bible and other scriptures and actually live what I learn I see the promises the Lord has made being fulfilled in my life, and I feel the Holy Spirit bear witness that these things are true.

I know, I’m peculiar, but thankfully there are over 13 million other peculiar members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and with each year that number grows. I feel so much joy and happiness in my life because of this knowledge. If you want to know more depth about anything I have said that makes me peculiar, visit www.mormon.org. This website explains in detail much of what I have just professed to believe and more.