Thursday, January 22, 2009

Peace Out

I have been reading the last two days about Peace. Joseph Smith, the first prophet of the LDS church said that "Peace is the very essence of happiness below, and bliss above." As I was reading I was trying to decide when I've felt that peace in my own life. Immediately, thoughts of my experiences in New Zealand came to mind. I remember one Saturday morning I set off on my bike to volunteer at a horse-riding place for disabled children. It was a long bike ride and I was never able to find the place. I decided since I was already late, that I would just keep riding my bike. I rode on a small gravel road through a few farm-like neighborhoods. Then I made my way over to the beach, about 8 miles from home. I locked my bike to a tree and just walked along the sand. It was early and kind of cold, so there were only a few people there walking their dogs. I found a log and sat down to watch the waves. It was peaceful. I kind of felt like I was the only person in the world and I knew that God was completely aware of me. You know, God gave us the Holy Spirit to help guide and protect us through life. Everyone can at times feel a prompting from that Spirit--whether it be a warning to stay out of danger or a thought to help someone else. I've found that when I listen to those feelings I get, which I believe come from the Spirit, I feel the same peace as I did that day on the beach in Invercargill, New Zealand. I feel the same closeness to God--probably because I am doing what He would have me do.

My friend Sandi's mom had a magnet on her refrigerator when we were in 7th or 8th grade. It said something like, 'Peace is not the absence of noise and chaos, it's the ability to remain calm in your heart when there is chaos all around.' I really liked that, and although I can't remember the exact wording the concept has always stayed with me.

Enjoy some pictures of my beautiful New Zealand.




6 comments:

Stefanie Elyse said...

I Love New Zealand too Abby! And I love you!

Hannah said...

Those pictures are BEAUTIFUL! How lucky you were to be able to go there!

Andy Porter said...

Thanks for your stong spirit and your testimony. I do like that quote about the chaos. Sometimes I wonder if I'll ever be able to feel peace with all of the noise in our house. I probably could if I just worked on it a little harder. It would be nice to feel peace on a beautiful beach though!!!

Kathy said...

I have experienced peace a couple of times, now that most of my children are grown and out of my house. The first time was fabulous, overwhelming. It was boring the second time. We search and pray for peace all our lives, but it is no good if we have it too much. I'm glad you know how it feels though. I just reread this comment. I think I might be getting dementia.

Sarah said...

Brynn and Kaitlyn love your pictures of New Zealand, and they wanted me to write this comment.

Bullock said...

I like peace. Peace is good. She still has the magnet. I miss you. s

I AM PECULIAR (this is a permanent post. If you have already read it, scroll down to see my latest)

Those of you who read my blog could probably make a list of all the reasons that you think I am a bit peculiar. No worries, I would be the first to shout an amen to everything you could think of. I know I’m peculiar; but let me tell you the number one thing on my list that I think makes me a peculiar person.

I know where I come from, why I am here and where I am going. I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Some of you will know me as a “Mormon” although that is just a nickname. The word ‘Saint’ just means ‘member’ in this context. I believe in God the Eternal Father, that I am a daughter of God, and that He loves me and wants me to be happy. I believe in my Savior Jesus Christ who lived a perfect life, atoned for my sins, died and was resurrected all that I might enjoy the blessing of being forgiven of my sins, and having my body and spirit reunited after death. I know that just as God called prophets in the Old and New Testament times that He has in fact called a prophet to lead and guide us today. I believe that families can live together for eternity; death does not have to be the end of our relationships with the ones we love. Some of you may wonder how on earth I can know these things. As I learn more and more from the Bible and other scriptures and actually live what I learn I see the promises the Lord has made being fulfilled in my life, and I feel the Holy Spirit bear witness that these things are true.

I know, I’m peculiar, but thankfully there are over 13 million other peculiar members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and with each year that number grows. I feel so much joy and happiness in my life because of this knowledge. If you want to know more depth about anything I have said that makes me peculiar, visit www.mormon.org. This website explains in detail much of what I have just professed to believe and more.