Tuesday, December 16, 2008

You're Not Invited

The other day I was riding in the car with Sammy and Luke (my nephews from my sister Hannah). I told Sam I was sad he had to go back home and that I wanted him to stay with me. Then Sam told me I wasn’t invited to his house because only really happy people are invited. He said if you listen to God and do your prayers and your scriptures, then you are invited to my house…and do your dishes and clean the floor and listen to Heavenly Father, and Jesus and the Holy Ghost. I was taught simple truths from a 3 year old. All you have to do to be really happy is listen to God and then you’re invited into his home. It was really precious. I pray Sam will never forget those things.


The first time I meet a boy I tend to look at his shoes. I feel like the shoes a boy chooses to wear really say a lot about his personality. Most boys only have 4 or 5 pairs of shoes: Sunday shoes, tennis shoes, 1 or 2 pair of everyday shoes and sandals. Those 1 or 2 pair of everyday shoes they decide to wear are what really tells me a lot about them. Are they skater, 80's, too stylish, do they run, are they gay, weird, normal, way cool, nice etc. You can tell a lot...I promise. I told my mom the other day that I am really trying hard to look at the heart and not the shoes. I'm in to the normal shoes: tennis shoes or diesel-like shoes. I just like normal guys ya know?


Tonight I went caroling at an elderly care center for the disabled. It was really fun. One of the residents grabbed onto my belt-loop and pulled down pretty quick. Lucky I have hips to stop my pants from coming down, and the worker guy caught it and helped me out. It was really funny.

3 comments:

Stefanie Elyse said...

Isn't being an aunt the greatest? I also pray my cute nieces and nephews will never forget the nuggets of truth they learn and trust at this young age. Funny story about your pants :)

Andy Porter said...

When I was dating I would always look at a guys hands. I have really big hands, so I had a hard time dating anyone with sissy looking hands. Don't worry, I'm sure there are millions of normal shoe guys out there that would be elated at the thought that they would even have a chance with someone as wonderful as you.

Valerie said...

I was the same as Andy-always looking to see if the guys hands were bigger than mine. I like your idea better. I think you can tell alot about a person by looking at their shoes vs. how big their hands are. When Ben went to his Vidal Sassoon class, the instructor told everyone that one of the first things they do is look at the person's shoes and then they know what kind of haircut to give them.

I AM PECULIAR (this is a permanent post. If you have already read it, scroll down to see my latest)

Those of you who read my blog could probably make a list of all the reasons that you think I am a bit peculiar. No worries, I would be the first to shout an amen to everything you could think of. I know I’m peculiar; but let me tell you the number one thing on my list that I think makes me a peculiar person.

I know where I come from, why I am here and where I am going. I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Some of you will know me as a “Mormon” although that is just a nickname. The word ‘Saint’ just means ‘member’ in this context. I believe in God the Eternal Father, that I am a daughter of God, and that He loves me and wants me to be happy. I believe in my Savior Jesus Christ who lived a perfect life, atoned for my sins, died and was resurrected all that I might enjoy the blessing of being forgiven of my sins, and having my body and spirit reunited after death. I know that just as God called prophets in the Old and New Testament times that He has in fact called a prophet to lead and guide us today. I believe that families can live together for eternity; death does not have to be the end of our relationships with the ones we love. Some of you may wonder how on earth I can know these things. As I learn more and more from the Bible and other scriptures and actually live what I learn I see the promises the Lord has made being fulfilled in my life, and I feel the Holy Spirit bear witness that these things are true.

I know, I’m peculiar, but thankfully there are over 13 million other peculiar members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and with each year that number grows. I feel so much joy and happiness in my life because of this knowledge. If you want to know more depth about anything I have said that makes me peculiar, visit www.mormon.org. This website explains in detail much of what I have just professed to believe and more.