Saturday, October 4, 2008

Legacy of Lovers

This is part of a paper I had to write for one of my classes last year. A lot more people could be added to this, but I had a page limit :).

I have been blessed with an opportunity to be in a family full of incredible women. Grandmas, sisters, sister-in-laws, and of course my own mother are all major examples of what it means to love, and to teach the sacred purposes of life through everyday living.

One of the most wonderful things about my mom is that she knows how to do, as I like to say, everything. An avid quilter, she has patiently directed me as I have struggled to learn to sew. I wanted to re-upholster an incredibly comfortable and equally distasteful chair I purchased from Deseret Industries. Mom showed me the best way and would give me direction as I asked for it, but let me do it on my own and learn from my mistakes. Her talent in this specific area has transformed many a prom dress to fit our standards of modesty. I was able to find inexpensive dresses which mom fixed up so professionally that it was difficult to believe I had not spent hundreds of dollars to find a beautiful modest dress. She helped me live my values and standards so that I could become closer to my Heavenly Father, and closer to her. Much of what mom did for us I took for granted. I never knew it was hard to be a mother, for she made it look so easy. I love her for her strong testimony that has been a light in my life guiding me towards developing my own testimony. She taught me to love to do what is right.

My oldest sister Sarah has always been my ‘second mother’ so to speak, and thus I have learned a great deal from her example. My mom was diagnosed with breast cancer when I was nine years old. I did not quite understand the seriousness of the disease, but I did know that it was possible my mom could die. I came home from school one day and raced up to my room only to find that mom had made my bed and cleaned my room--even though she was sick and weak from chemotherapy. Immediately tears began to pour down my face because I realized how much I love my mom and wanted her to stay with me. I ran to Sarah for comfort. She gave me a hug and asked questions to get to the root of my feelings. I was able to open up to her and express all my worries and concerns. Her comforting words reassured me that we were all scared, but that we could get through this hard time if we stuck together as a family.

Even to this day Sarah is my easiest sister to communicate with. We can talk about anything and she is always interested in what I have to say. She is not so much concerned with giving advice as she is just listening. Sarah has taught me principles of good communication especially of the value of being able to listen.

Although she is four years older than me, my sister Hannah is my closest sibling in age. She is also my best friend. I spent the most time with her as we were growing up and I wanted more than anything to be just like her. She was and is a shining light in my life. One of the qualities that Hannah has taught me is the importance of being a good leader. Hannah has always been able to envision and then execute almost any plan. She served on her high school’s student council and then graduated from BYU with a degree in education. In both cases she has demonstrated her ability to incorporate everyone to be in line with the plan. I always go to Hannah for advice on the best way to get a job finished. Her ability to lead brings structure to her home. She can compromise and improvise in order to make any goal obtainable. Her leadership abilities have helped me realize the importance of setting and reaching goals; the ultimate goal of course being to return to our Heavenly Father.

Hannah has also taught me the joy of laughing. We often joke that it does not take much to get Hannah to laugh, and oh is her laugh contagious. She brings joy and laughter to any situation. She has taught me that it is so important to find something to laugh about even in difficult situations. Daily happiness that comes through laughing brings an enhanced ability to feel love from Heavenly Father and to share that love with others. Life does not seem so hard if there is something to laugh about. I am confident that Hannah will bring that same joy to her little boys as they grow up learning to laugh and smile like she does.

My third sister Betsy was born after Sarah but before Hannah. I remember a time when my parents had gone to Atlanta, Georgia for an overnight temple trip and contention among our siblings was building. I was the youngest at the time and feeling very picked on. I was upset and burst into tears. Betsy ran up to my room to see what the matter was. I explained that my feelings had been hurt and I felt left out and unimportant. She said very strongly that my siblings did love me and if I was ever having problems with one of the older kids that I could just tell her and she would help me work it out. That ability to serve selflessly has never left Betsy’s character. She and her husband are the greatest examples of service that I have ever encountered. They have an innate ability to recognize how they can help those in need. The service they render is unique, creative and adapted to each individual’s needs. I greatly admire Betsy’s desire for service and pray that I will be able to develop that same ability to serve selflessly in order to help other’s feel God’s love for them.

The greatest thing that I have learned from these women is the ability to love. Whether I look behind me to my past or beside me at my present, I have examples to help me understand the importance of raising a family to learn to love the Lord. Now as I begin to look in front of me to the future, I am excited to practice the principles I have learned from this legacy of lovers that I have been so blessed to be a part of. I hope to teach my children as my mother taught me, and my sisters teach their children, to have a testimony of Jesus Christ.


5 comments:

Kathy said...

Oh Abby, I love you so much. I am so proud of the woman you have become. You're my favorite! Shhhh don't tell.......
Mom

Andy Porter said...

That was really well written. You did a great job of putting into words their unique and amazing qualities. You have such a great family and you are really an incredible person.

Sarah said...

WHAT!!! Clearly I'm mom's favorite!!! I love you Abby...you are amazing.

Hannah said...

I love you Abby! Thanks. That was a really sweet thing. I have to say that my favorite thing about you is your stubborness. :) That sounds negative, but I mean that when you make up your mind to do something and you feel right about it...you do it. EX- getting to New Zealand, teaching YOURSELF the piano AND the guitar, training for the half marathon...to name a few. You have incredible will power and discipline and never give up on anything. You have high expectations for yourself and you hold yourself to them. And, I have to agree with Andy...you did a great job articulating some traits of our mom and sisters (and especially me...j/k). Love you!

Valerie said...

You are so sweet! I feel lucky to have all of you women as part of my family!

I AM PECULIAR (this is a permanent post. If you have already read it, scroll down to see my latest)

Those of you who read my blog could probably make a list of all the reasons that you think I am a bit peculiar. No worries, I would be the first to shout an amen to everything you could think of. I know I’m peculiar; but let me tell you the number one thing on my list that I think makes me a peculiar person.

I know where I come from, why I am here and where I am going. I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Some of you will know me as a “Mormon” although that is just a nickname. The word ‘Saint’ just means ‘member’ in this context. I believe in God the Eternal Father, that I am a daughter of God, and that He loves me and wants me to be happy. I believe in my Savior Jesus Christ who lived a perfect life, atoned for my sins, died and was resurrected all that I might enjoy the blessing of being forgiven of my sins, and having my body and spirit reunited after death. I know that just as God called prophets in the Old and New Testament times that He has in fact called a prophet to lead and guide us today. I believe that families can live together for eternity; death does not have to be the end of our relationships with the ones we love. Some of you may wonder how on earth I can know these things. As I learn more and more from the Bible and other scriptures and actually live what I learn I see the promises the Lord has made being fulfilled in my life, and I feel the Holy Spirit bear witness that these things are true.

I know, I’m peculiar, but thankfully there are over 13 million other peculiar members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and with each year that number grows. I feel so much joy and happiness in my life because of this knowledge. If you want to know more depth about anything I have said that makes me peculiar, visit www.mormon.org. This website explains in detail much of what I have just professed to believe and more.