Thursday, February 28, 2008

It seems a strange phenomena that I often find myself struggling to understand the New Zealanders even though we speak the same language. Sometimes asking a Kiwi to repeat something leaves you even more confused than you were before they repeated it. I find the best way to communicate is to periodically ask them to spell whatever the heck they just said. The only problem with that is if you are talking to a Kiwi who can't spell.

Communicating becomes much easier after you learn the differences in what things are called. For example if a kiwi says, Grab your jandals and your togs and I'll meet you at the beach, they mean, Grab your sandals and your swimming suit and I'll meet you at the beach.

Sometimes they throw out phrases like "sweet as mate" (no I did not spell that middle word wrong). Sweet As means : I confirm that whatever you are proposing is good. They don't have friends here they have mates.

If you choose to wave at someone on the street they might say something like, "how you goin?" That does not mean what form of transportation are you using to get from here to wherever you are going, it just means how are you.

If someone asks you if want some chips don't expect them to hand you a bag of your favorite sour cream and cheddar chips. Instead, they'll hand you french fries.

If you had a lot of shoes in your closet don't tell a kiwi " I have lots of shoes in my closet" say, " I have heaps of shoes in my closet."

Candy is called Lollies, and 'good on you' is a way to congratulate on a job well done.

I'm starting to catch on, slowly and will probably have it down by the time I get home. I love the Kiwi language. :)

5 comments:

Ben Porter said...

One time, my kiwi companion Elder Keksz, asked me if i brought the "chicks". I was pretty sure he didn't mean some girls, so i said "Did i bring the chicks?" He said "yeah, you know, like money". I informed him that I did, in fact, bring the "checks", and that he talks funny and drives on the wrong side of the road and eats disgusting food like marmite (or vegimite).

Hannah said...

Maybe you are catching on faster than you think, because you seemed not all hesitant to say that you asked your "kiwi" to repeat something, and seem to have conversations about many things with said "kiwis". I, on the other hand, prefer to eat kiwis with a spoon after cutting the top off. They are juicy and a little sour and actually quite good, despite their furry skin. I have never talked to one though.

Marcindra LaPriel said...

And a skivy is a turtleneck.

Weird.

Valerie said...

We may not be able to converse together when you get back. I think I will practice talking to some kiwis here and just hope for the best.

Julie T said...

I loved the lesson on speaking Kiwi! These things will help us as we get there at Easter time and suddenly have heaps of challenges upon leaving the airport! Just wanted to tell you I hadn't heard the two songs you posted at the top of your blog before and I love them so much that sometimes I just open your blog to listen to them! Thanks for the introduction! Cheers, Julie (Stef's mom)

I AM PECULIAR (this is a permanent post. If you have already read it, scroll down to see my latest)

Those of you who read my blog could probably make a list of all the reasons that you think I am a bit peculiar. No worries, I would be the first to shout an amen to everything you could think of. I know I’m peculiar; but let me tell you the number one thing on my list that I think makes me a peculiar person.

I know where I come from, why I am here and where I am going. I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Some of you will know me as a “Mormon” although that is just a nickname. The word ‘Saint’ just means ‘member’ in this context. I believe in God the Eternal Father, that I am a daughter of God, and that He loves me and wants me to be happy. I believe in my Savior Jesus Christ who lived a perfect life, atoned for my sins, died and was resurrected all that I might enjoy the blessing of being forgiven of my sins, and having my body and spirit reunited after death. I know that just as God called prophets in the Old and New Testament times that He has in fact called a prophet to lead and guide us today. I believe that families can live together for eternity; death does not have to be the end of our relationships with the ones we love. Some of you may wonder how on earth I can know these things. As I learn more and more from the Bible and other scriptures and actually live what I learn I see the promises the Lord has made being fulfilled in my life, and I feel the Holy Spirit bear witness that these things are true.

I know, I’m peculiar, but thankfully there are over 13 million other peculiar members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and with each year that number grows. I feel so much joy and happiness in my life because of this knowledge. If you want to know more depth about anything I have said that makes me peculiar, visit www.mormon.org. This website explains in detail much of what I have just professed to believe and more.